Saturday, November 17, 2007

Mini Donuts


Donuts craze has come to Singapore and it is not uncommon to see long queues forming at donut outlets at any time of the day or any day of the week. Rather than queuing up to an hour for donuts at these chains, I decided to make my own this weekend. After all, I like to cook and bake and it is an opportunity to have fun along the way.



I have already decided to make other varieties besides the normal glazed donuts (those with icing sugar on them). So I went to the store to buy the ingredients for the donuts topping and before I know, I have chopped peanuts, sliced almonds, strawberry shavings, baking chocolate, coloured rice, frosting, icing sugar..........I am quite sure I will definitely eat more than one since it's very likely I would try all the different variety to have a feel of how each of them taste. So to make sure that I don't "over" eat, I decided to make small mini donuts. This way, I can have more than one at one go without having to feel too guilty. :p



The donuts were pretty easy to make, from the kneading, the shaping using the donut cutter, the proofing and the frying part. The hard or the tedious part is actually the "decoration" of the mini donuts. Being mini, they are actually quite a handful to handle especially frosting and adding the toppings on them. Maybe I have clumsy fingers which explains why I find this decorating part difficult. *lol* But the biggest surprise of the day is that my dad is also very enthusiatic about the donut making! Wow, I have to say I am very surprised cos my dad seldom give me a second look when I am baking or cooking at home. So I was quite surprised when he offer to fry the donuts and volunteer to help decorating them.......and guess what? Both of us have lots of fun doing it.



Took me about 3 hours, from preparation, waiting for the donuts to raise, frying and decorating them. The eating takes a shorter time......hahaha.....generally, old folks at home like the traditional glaze donuts, say it's less sweet while young kids like the donuts with chocolate toppings and strawberry shavings.....definitely will make these donuts again!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you are great.!My daughters and I love donut.We love to eat donuts with topping like what you'd made,
Before I read your story,I thought you bought it from the store.So beautiful and look yummy too!:)

Happy Food Happy Thots said...

Hi sweetiepie, thanks for your comments. My niece like the donuts alot and she ate most of them. I will have to do more the next round. :p

Par said...

That looks really good!