Saturday, July 26, 2008

Fruit cake


I had always wanted to bake a whole cake but never had the opportunity or the motivation till I came across the cake recipe book from the library [think it's called Alex Goh Baking Class]. The cakes inside the book are really beautiful and since I am most confident in baking butter cake, I decide to bake a fruit cake which also is a favourite cake for my parents at home.

It's a pretty simple cake yet great for everyone old and young, big and small...:) I made some adaptions to the recipe though...instead of adding the glazed cherries, dried apricots etc, I bought a batch of mixed fruits instead (had raisins, mixed peel, green red glazed cherries) and use that in the fruit cake and I added almonds and walnuts instead of macadamia nuts. But I felt that the cake is a bit dry and in my next attempt, I will definitely add in some milk to make a smoother texture cake.


Fruit cake
Ingredients
200g butter
150g brown sugar
3 eggs
2 tblsps golden syrup
180g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
100g almonds
100g macadamia nuts (I did not add this)
100g walnuts
150g dried apricots
50g glazed red cherries
150g raisins
4 tblsp orange juice

Method
1. Mix all the dried fruits with orange juice and set aside for 1 hour.
2. Cream butter and sugar till light. Add eggs (1 at a time) and golden syrup and continue to cream till smooth and creamy.
3. Sieve in flour and baking powder and mix until well blended.
4. Add the fruits and nuts and mix until well incorporated with the batter.
5. Pour into a oiled and lined loaf tin and bake at 170C for 1 hour.

No comments: