Friday, November 27, 2009

Japanese Sushi Lunch

Long weekend with Hari Raya Haji falling on Friday. It has been a while since I last make sushi. So far, I have been rolled sushi (maki) with the nori outside. Decided to try the reverse method which is nori on the inside and rice on the outside. Did some research on how to do it and finally settled on California Maki. Seems pretty easy from the video I saw on the web.

After getting all my ingredients ready, I started on my 1st california roll. It was terible...I didn't realize I was supposed to use half a sheet of nori. Instead I use the entire piece. I ended up with a "jumbo" size California roll....plus my rice could not cover the nori completely and I literally had to cut off the excess nori that was "hanging" from my maki roll....:(

2nd attempt was much better after I stick to half a sheet of nori only. My rice was able to cover the nori completely and I was able to roll the ingredients tightly inside the maki roll. After topping with the fish roe, I was very happy and satisfied with the end product. It looked quite close to the california maki I buy from those sushi joint....not too bad, right? hahaha...

I also make some sushi pockets and topped it with tuna mayo and fish roe. That is much simpler compared to california maki.
Finally, after boiling the endamame, I can sit down to a filling and fulfilling lunch. Cheers!

No comments: