Friday, October 19, 2007

Afternoon Tea at Blue Magnolia

I was watching a tv programme (HDB Tai tai) some time ago and the 2 "made believe" tai-tais in the programme went for afternoon tea at this little cafe located in Macpherson Road. My office is located in the same area but I have never notice this cafe till I saw it on tv. The food they featured looks really nice and I decided to make a trip down to the cafe to see and taste the food for myself.

The opportunity finally came early this week. I went down with a friend and it was pretty quiet when we get there around 430pm. Unfortunately, there is not much food items left at that time and the crepes which I saw on tv was not on sale at that time. :( Luckily, the cafe's famous Adzuki Green Tea Cake is still available. We ordered 3 other small cakes and together they made up the "Petite Four".


I ordered an infusion tea called Nightcap (a combination of peppermint & camomile tea) which comes in a nice clear teapot and is constantly kept warm by a tealight candle.
My friend had the Creamy Hazelnut Coffee instead. Among the 4 items we ordered, my favourite is the Cheesecake. The savoury Cheese Puff (next to the cheesecake) is unique but not fantastic.

The Adzuki Green Tea Cake is a letdown as I could hardly smell the green tea and I personally feel that the cake could have more of the adzuki bean inside the cake. Blueberry cake is also not very special.

My friend like the Creamy Hazelnut Coffee though. I guess I would not mind buying the cheesecake although I will give the 3 other items a miss. Although the food had not been as nice as I would have expected, I like the way the food is presented - in small little dish in a very manageable portions which allows you to try many different items without getting too stretched (the tummy i mean). Service is pretty good too. So I think I will still make another trip down for the crepes which I missed out this round. For those who are interested in visiting the cafe, here is the address.

Blue Magnolia

439 Macpherson Road.

I will make another post here after my next visit.

No comments: