Saturday, December 1, 2007

Tempura Crab cakes



Saw this recipe from a food magazine some time ago and have not gotten down to cooking it. The crab meat I bought has also been sitting on my shelf for a while already. So finally decided to cook it today.

I have to say the picture looks better than it tastes. Maybe I have only myself to blame cos I actually make some changes to the ingredients. Instead of cornflour, I used tapioca flour since that's what my mum have on her pantry shelf. Not only that, recipe calls for beating the egg whites till white peaks appear (which I take it to mean stiff like in cake making). But I was lazy to take out my mixer as I reckon using my hands to beat the whites should be alright.

By the time I started whisking the egg whites, I realized manual hand whisking does not really get the job done. But damage is already done and so I have no choice but to add it to the other ingredients hoping it will still turn out fine.

I guess if I had beaten the egg whites stiff, the crabcakes will probably be puffy instead of being round flat cakes......well.....anyway, luckily folks at home like it pretty much although I think I will try this recipe with other ingredients like prawns, imitation crabsticks, onions instead of crab meat. Basically, I can't really "taste" or "feel" the crab meat inside....

Still I think its a good recipe except it calls for some hard work.......don't be lazy to use your mixer.... *lol*

Tempura Crab Cakes
Ingredients
makes about 10 -12
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup cornflour
170g can crab meat, drained and set aside
3/4 cup cold water
1/4 cup chopped coriander
Spring onions, chopped
2 red chilli, seeded and chopped
2 egg whites
oil for deep frying

Chilli Lemon Mayonnaise
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tblsp chopped coriander
1 chilli, seeded and chopped
juice of 1/2 lemon
lemon rind

Method
1. Sift flour into a mixing bowl. Add in water to a smooth blend.
2. Lightly mix in crab meat, coriander, chilli and spring onions.
3. Beat egg whites till soft peaks form. Fold into crab meat mixture.
4. Heat oil in a large wok/saucepan/deepfryer.
5. Add 1 tablespoon of crab mixture to the oil. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes until golden and cooked through. Drain on kitchen towels. Continue with remaining mixture.
6. Combine all the ingredients for the chilli mayonnaise in a small bowl. Serve as dipping sauce with tempura crab cakes garnished with lemon slice and coriander.

No comments: