Thursday, November 22, 2007

Bento 23 November 07


My second bento for this month! Onigiris with furikake is the "main course" for this bento. Side dish includes blanched cauliflower, carrots, cherry tomatoes and the star of this bento - chicken egg roll!! Saw the recipe from a bento cook book I purchased some time ago and was keen to give it a try cos it looks fantastic inside any bento lunch box. :p

Ingredients are generally easy to prepare but the tricky part is the rolling of the minced chicken and scrambled eggs around the long beans and carrot sticks. I actually did not manage to do it on my first attempt and I have to do it again the second round before I was successful. Even then, I think it was not as well done and I would have to do a better job again the next round.

Chicken Egg rolls (makes 1 roll about 7 -8 pieces)
Ingredients
50g minced chicken
2 tblsp beaten egg
2 tblsp breadcrumbs
1/4 onion, diced finely
A pinch of salt

2 eggs, beaten
Long beans, cut into small long sections
Carrots, cut into sticks

Method
1. Mixed minced chicken, 2 tblsp egg, breadcrumbs, onions and salt together in a bowl. Set aside for use later.
2. Scramble the eggs in a pan till they are firm but not dry. Remove from heat.
3. Place a piece of aluminium foil over sushi mat. Oil it slightly.
4. Spread the minced chicken mixture over the aluminium foil followed by scrambled eggs.
5. Place the long beans and carrot sticks in the middle.
6. Roll the chicken egg roll the same way as sushi.
7. Steam the roll for about 7 -8 mins. Cut into 7 -8 pieces before packing into bento box.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you are so creative,and very patient to cut those cute cute little food.:)

Happy Food Happy Thots said...

Haha.......thanks! I am seldom this patient. It really takes a lot of time to cut those cute little items and when I am in a rush, I will just cook and dump them into my bento box. :p